Nashville State Community College    


Financial Aid Standards for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Re-establishing Eligibility for Financial Aid
Right to Appeal
Academic Plans
Repeating a Previously Passed Course

Federal and state regulations require students maintain good progress towards receiving a degree in order to maintain eligibility for Title IV financial aid programs. A studentís progress is measured using the following three measurements below. Students who do not meet all three requirements will be placed on Financial Aid Warning. While in this status students can continue to receive aid but will only have one additional semester to repair their progress. After the next semester they attend, if the student still does not meet all three requirements they will be placed on Financial Aid Suspension. Students with this status cannot receive any additional Financial Aid until they repair their measurements by taking classes at their own expense or successfully appealing the probation.

The following measurements apply, whether or not a student receives financial aid.

  1. GPA

    The GPA requirement for maintaining aid eligibility is the same that is required by the NSCC Records Office to remain in good standing with the college. The requirement is on a sliding scale based on the number of hours completed at the school.

    Overall Combined
    GPA Hours
    Cumulative GPA

    Students placed on Academic Probation with the Records Office are still considered ineligible for Financial Aid even after they have completed their Academic Suspension or Academic Probation.

  2. Class Pass Rate

    Students must also pass at least 67% of all classes attempted. This rate is based on all classes taken at NSCC. It includes college, remedial, developmental and English as a Second Language (ESL) classes. There is no rounding of the class pass rate, in order to maintain this rate a student must pass greater than two out of three classes attempted.

    Grades of W, I, X, F, WF, NR, FA, FN and AU do not count as passed grades.

  3. Maximum Time Frame (MTF)

    By law, students can receive aid up until 150% of the hours required to complete your degree before they exhaust their eligibility. For example, if the program requires 60 hours before a degree is received then a student can receive aid up until the 90th college level hour attempted (institutional combined via myNSCC). Students who have exceeded this limit will no longer be eligible for aid at NSCC.

    Transfer Credit is counted in attempted hours.

    Grades of W, I, X, F, WF, NR, FA, FN and AU count as attempted hours.

    Students can receive aid for up to 30 hours of remedial and developmental classes.

    Students can also receive an unlimited number of hours towards English as a Second Language classes (ESL) that are required to complete an eligible program of study.

[ top of page ]


Re-establishing Eligibility for Financial Aid

Students who do not meet measurements “1” and/or “2” and thus become ineligible for financial aid, may re-establish their eligibility by enrolling during a subsequent semester at their own expense and meeting the above standards. Students should contact the Financial Aid Office at which point they meet the above requirements. Students who have exceeded MTF cannot re-establish eligibility by this method.

[ top of page ]


Right to Appeal

If your eligibility for federal or state financial aid has been suspended because you do not meet satisfactory academic progress standards and if you have experienced any extenuating circumstances that affected your ability to meet those standards, you may submit a letter of appeal to the Director of Financial Aid.

Documentation must be provided to substantiate the reason for appeal.

In order to successfully appeal a loss due to GPA or Class Pass Rate, the student must:

  1. Provide a reasonable explanation of the causes of their past performance over the last two semesters. The student must provide documentation (doctor’s notes or death certificates for example) when explaining the situation. The event(s) and documentation must be relevant to the semester(s) the student did not meet progress.
  2. They must state how they have corrected the issues or list the steps they are taking to insure that they do not reoccur.

A student who has exceeded MTF may only successfully appeal if they have transfer credit work that does not apply to their program of study. In order to appeal MTF a student must:

  1. Ask an advisor, teacher, or departmental staff familiar with your current program to evaluate an unofficial NSCC transcript and highlight any classes which do not apply to your current program of study. They will need to sign off on the transcript and state that they have highlight classes which do not apply toward your program.
  2. Provide a statement to the financial Aid Office requesting that we “disregard any transfer credit work that does not apply” to your current program of study.

Each appeal will be reviewed by a three-person committee. The committee will notify you of it decision by mail.

[ top of page ]


Academic Plans

A student who has successfully appealed a suspension of aid will be placed on Financial Aid Probation. Depending on the situation, the Appeals Committee will place conditions on the granting of an appeal. These conditions are meant to aid in the successful completion of the student’s program. Typical plans may include but are not limited to an increased completion rate, increased GPA requirement, or a specific course plan. The specific plan will be determined as a part of the appeals process and is at the discretion of the Appeals Committee. If a student appeal is granted contingent on an academic plan, the student can continue to receive aid as long as they fulfill those conditions or they repair their overall SAP measurements back into required values.

[ top of page ]


Repeating a Previously Passed Course

Students cannot receive any additional aid for a course once they have successful completed the course twice (D or better).

Students who pass a class twice but either need to retake it to meet minimum program requirements or want to retake a passed class in order to get a higher grade can no longer receive aid for that course. Any further attempts at retaking the class cannot be counted for Financial Aid purposes when determining enrollment level. If the student is receiving a Pell Grant, then they will receive a reduced amount. If they are applying for a student loan, then we cannot use that course when determining if they are enrolled at least half time (student loans regulations require that a student be enrolled in at least six credit hours to receive the loan).

[ top of page ]